Wednesday, August 18, 2010

10-08-18: "Nate"

CrossFit WoD for August 18th, 2010


"Nate"

Complete as many rounds in twenty minutes as you can of:
Scalings courtesy CrossFit BrandX

Mikko Salo 21 rounds, Graham Holmberg 19 rounds + 3 HSPU, Chris Spealler 15 rounds + 1 HSPU (with 20lb vest), Kristan Clever 15 rounds (2 pood KB), Rebecca Voigt 7 rounds (2 pood KB).

SOC-Nate-Hardy-th.jpg
Enlarge image
Chief Petty Officer Nate Hardy was killed Sunday February 4th during combat operations in Iraq. Nate is survived by his wife, Mindi, and his infant son Parker.
We're asking the CrossFit community to make donations to the "Nate Hardy Memorial Fund" in care of the Navy Federal Credit Union, Building 200, FTC Dam Neck, Virginia Beach, VA, 23461.

No idea if I can do a muscle-up (<-BJ Penn with hair!), as we have no rings to try them on, and our few "pull-up" bars are either blocked by useless heating equipment above or poorly placed dip bars at crotch level.  So, pull-ups and dips it is! As for handstand push-ups, I don't have much range of motion on them, as I'm still terrified of pile-driving myself into the floor. So, I went for a scaled version (feet elevated, body piked, so that the push-ups were still nearly vertical, just with the leg weight mostly removed) that allowed me to do a full-range of motion.  Our not-really-kettlebells only go up to 24#, so we subbed dumbbells, and in an effort to not die, scaled the weight down a few pounds (2 pood is roughly equal to 72 pounds). 

Felt pretty good throughout the workout. I was definitely breathing hard by the third round, and had completed 5 at the nine minute mark, but definitely started slowing down after that.  Each transition started including a few extra breaths while sizing up the next task, instead of just jumping right in. Still and all, I was really happy with my performance.

At first I was discouraged with the number of rounds completed, as compared to the fire-breathers listed above, until J pointed out that we were doing 6x as many motions for the pull-ups/dips as they were doing for muscle-ups, and they were probably doing their two muscle-ups in the same time it took me to do 2 pull-ups, much less the remaining 4 AND 6 dips!  So, yeah... though I'm sure that really wouldn't have slowed Mikko down. He would have had what, only 20 rounds.  Yikes.

Music during the warm-up was my late 90s college mix (Ani Difranco, Moxy Fruvous, God Street Wine, etc.)(Links to follow)

Music during the workout was my go-to metal mix (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Amon Amarth, etc.) (Links to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment