Saturday, September 17, 2011

11-09-17: Fight Gone Bad 6

CrossFit WoD for Saturday, September 17th, 2011


If you see people doing wall-balls, sumo deadlift high-pulls, box jumps, push presses, and rowing, chances are they're either prepping for or suffering through that old CrossFit gem, "Fight Gone Bad." (all pictures from crossfit.com)


"Fight Gone Bad!"
  • Three rounds of:
    • Wall-ball, 20# ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
    • Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75# (Reps)
    • Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
    • Push-press, 75# (Reps)
    • Row (Calories)
In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute.The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.
CrossFit Milford was good enough to host Fight Gone Bad this year, which was awesome, since they are just down the highway from Elm City CrossFit. After some interesting driving from my car mates (Larry and Mark), we finally made it to Milford. The turnout was great, with there easily being 40-50 athletes, male and female, all ages, out to participate. There were enough stations for 6 athletes to do each exercise at a time, and given the lay-out of the workout, they were able to have 6 "heats" running concurrently, each offset from the next by a minute. There were two sets of those, meaning we were pretty much done 30-40 minutes after the initial 3-2-1 Go!

I ended up competing in the second heat, so I counted and coached for a guy I had just met named Brian, who I believe is an athlete at CFMilford. He's fairly new to CrossFit, and this was his first FGB. He had some definite form issues on some of the moves, mostly defined by his overall strength (wallball squat depth and throw height were both sub-par), and familiarity with the moves (I don't think he had ever done a sumo-deadlift high-pull before.) So, I tried to work with him as much as I could in the middle of this grinder of a workout.

When it came to my turn, my only goal was to not die. I believe my previous PR was 182, which is well-off from elite levels of fitness, so my drive was to best that. I didn't worry too much about the math of how many reps per minute, since I knew that as soon as I slipped off that scheme, it might screw me up mentally. Rather, I just tried to keep going, steady and slow, steady and slow.

Of course, I failed right out of the gate, and started throwing up wall-balls with abandon. However, at the 30 second mark, I realized my mistake, and tried to ease up on the gas. I happily ended sets 10 seconds early to both allow myself time to get to the next station, but also to get in 2-3 good deep breaths. For all that, I really wanted someone to put me out of my misery midway through the second round. Having just counted and coached for Brian, I knew that by the second time through the box jumps, he wanted it to be over as well, so it wasn't just me.

Final score: 225, a 40 pt PR. Its not a great score at all, but knowing that two of my main goats are muscle endurance and recovery, FGB targets both of those with a passion. Now, my next goal is another PR, and hopefully over over 300. Time will tell...

PS. SQUEEEE! Dave Lipson and Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet were both there!!
Not Dave. Definitely NOT Camille.

No comments:

Post a Comment