Tuesday, October 4, 2011

11-10-03: Barbell complex and double-unders

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Monday, October 3rd, 2011
Annie Sakamoto in action, showing the full triple extension (hips, knees, and ankles) putting some serious momentum on the bar. (crossfit.com)
Perfect form on the front squat. Hip crease is below the knees, upper arms are parallel to the floor, hands are open, allowing the bar to really rest on the deltoids. (crossfitsweatshop.com)
Stiff-legged deadlift. Weight starts at the TOP, travels down the legs (staying against them {careful around the kneecaps!}), weight touches the floor, then back up. Lower back stays rigid, chest is filled and UP. All the weight is carried on the glutes and hamstrings. If your back is sore, you're doing it wrong.  (weightliftingdiscussion.com)
Bent-over row. Back is still rigid and protected. I couldn't find a good picture showing the bar against the legs at the bottom AND a double-overhand grip AND the bar hitting the ab/rib boundary. So, you get this tepid mess instead (I'm sure its a valid technique to someone, and that's ok. Its just not ANYTHING that we were doing...) (hookedoniron.com)



pics



Warm-Up
  • Multi-Planar Lunge
  • Supine Cross
  • Cobra
  • Butt-Kickers
  • Stiff-Legged Deadlift with empty bar
WoD: 3 x 3! Barbell Complex
  • Hang Power Clean 115#
  • Front Squat
  • Stiff-Legged Deadlift
  • Bent over Row
2min Rest between rounds

Sellout: 100Double-Unders or 300 Singles

Tired and slow coming into this workout. Second weekend in a row that was basically more work than the work week, plus working an event at the school the night before, then going out for a few beers afterwards, I wasn't the most well-rested... or hydrated! Plus it was freaking COLD out this morning (by which I mean mid '60s, which just goes to show how screwed I am come winter!) I could have stayed on the rollers forever, and didn't feel particularly better after getting off them. There was a new warm-up routine this week, and some of the new movements are pretty cool, along with some old favorites.

 After going over the barbell complex with PVC, we warmed up to our WoD weights. The rep scheme is pretty simple, sort of. For the first round, you first do each movement 3 times in a row, before moving onto the next movement. So, three hang power cleans, followed by 3 front squats, then three stiff-legged dead lifts, and finally 3 bent over rows. For the second time through, do two of each, then one of each on the third time through. That's ONE round. After resting for 2 minutes, do it again. The total number of reps is only 18, so this was definitely more of a quick burn, enforced recovery, repeat kind of workout. I kind of liked it!

After a few times through with the empty bar (45#) and two 25# plates on (95# total),  bumped up to the 35# plates, for a total of 115#. I probably could have gone up to 135#, but at this weight I was able to keep working through the workout fairly effectively. I'm sure I could have done one round no problem, but getting going again for the second and third might have been a bit of a mess...


Barbell Complex: 8:00

By this point I had forgotten about the sell-out. Silly me. Sadly, though I started out fairly well, and got to 50 double-unders pretty quickly (usually in sets of 10), the struggle to 100 was EPIC. I went from feeling like I might finish fairly early to finishing dead last long after everyone else. I considered capping myself, or just lying, but instead persevered . It was worth it, I think. :-/

Now I'm just trying to consider getting ready for work rather than crawling back into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment