Wednesday, December 1, 2010

10-12-01: Heavy Tabata

CrossFit WoD for Sunday, November 28th, 2010
  • Tabata Weighted pull-up, 30# dumbbell
  • Rest 1 minute
  • Tabata Weighted squat, 45# plate
  • Rest 1 minute
  • Tabata Weighted ring dip, 30# dumbbell 25# weighted vest
  • Rest 1 minute
  • Tabata Deadlift, 165# 115# barbell
The Tabata interval is 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for 8 intervals.
Tabata score is the least number of reps performed in any of the eight intervals.
Michelle Kinney 2 (15lb), 12 (35lb), 3 (15lb), 8 (125lb) = 25
Kevin Montoya 3, 9, 3, 6 = 21

Michelle Kinney on today's WOD - video [wmv] [mov]
Kevin Montoya on today's WOD - video [wmv] [mov]

Eva T. doing a 70# weighted pull-up. Me being jealous. This is where a real spot for pull-ups would come in handy. (crossfit.com)
Instead of risking a self-lobotomy, I tended to either clutch the weight to my chest, or up and over, on my shoulders.  Either way, it starts off feeling so easy... (games2010.crossfit.com)
The Governator rips out some impressive weighted dips. Not having a dip belt, and having given up on trying to hold the weight between my feet, I had opted for a weight vest by this point... (fitfinity.net)
Tabata deadlifts. Wooohoo! Note all the people using the alternate grip (one hand turned away from the body, one facing in.) This is completely unnecessary for anything other than max weight attempts. It's better to keep both hands facing towards your body, as this works the grip better, so you don't need the alternate grip as much. (crossfitasia.com)

Apparently, trying to do weighted pull-ups using a dumbbell in the middle of a Gravitron rip-off is a recipe for disaster. Our machine is such a piece of crap, I can't even find a picture of it online. Basically, it has a bar you stand on for weight assisted dips or pull-ups.  The bar is attached via a T-joint to a longer bar that passes under the weight stack to the cam that actually pulls the cable attached to the weight stack via the top of the machine. (Simple design, just an awkward description.)  The t-bar takes up most of the space that is enclosed by the base of the machine in front of the weight stack, which means that finding a spot to balance a dumbbell on its side is annoying at best.  Add in a spectacularly unstable floor and the fact that when the dumbbell inevitably falls over, it ends up straddling the bar, making it impossible to pick up with your feet, and you have a total clusterf***.

The first round had a great 6 reps.  Everything after that was either singles or total failures, which I refuse to count towards my score on general principal. Even if it only increases it by one, its something of a moral victory.  The problem in a Tabata set is that there's no time to stop and adjust in the middle of it. If what you're doing doesn't work, you're still stuck with it. I was less that thrilled, but hey, you live and learn.

Magically, the 45# plates weren't in use by the time the second round came up, so I was able to grab one and do this bit as Rx'ed, which made me very happy. I don't mind squatting, and its one of the few movements i can just power through. Whereas the other exercises in today's Tabata showed a marked drop-off, both of the leg/posterior chain moves showed staying power, but especially the squats. I started alternating between clutching the plate to my chest and holding up and behind my neck, kind of like a high-bar back squat position.  Both felt pretty good, and being able to mix that part up kept me from destroying my arms trying to maintain a single position.

During the squats, my workout partner opted to do hers with a 35# weight vest. I snagged the vest for the dips, obviating the need to try to wrastle with the frickin' dumbbell in the pull-up/dip machine again.  Definite improvement.  There was still a massive fall-off in reps, but at least that was just because my arms were smoked, not technical crap more or less beyond my control. Lots of good, if unintentional, work on the negatives, with all the failed reps in the later rounds!

More deadlifts! I was stuck with a curl bar, but again, the 45# plates were available, so I just threw those on and went to town.  I'm sure my form was compromised by the fact that I know the grip pattern on that bar was apparently done with a chainsaw, and if I let it even brush my leg, I was going to be bleeding like a stuck pig. So, the bar was always at least a little distance from my leg, which is completely wrong. I didn't overdo it, but just having it float away at all rather than keeping it locked directly over the center of balance was annoying... now add in the curves and excitement of a curl bar, and you have a guarantee of poor technique!


pull-ups61111100
squats1210897877
dips55212322
deadlifts1110865455

CF Total (not including zero rep failures) = 1 + 7 + 1 + 4 = 13
Total reps: 11 + 68 + 22 + 54 = 155

No comments:

Post a Comment