Monday, May 16, 2011

11-05-04: Close Grip Bench Press and a swing-push-up couplet

CrossFit Garden City WoD for April 28, 2001


Warmup:
  • Jumprope/Double-Under practice
  • Active Stretching
Strength:
Close Grip Bench Press (30X0)
 - In 15 minutes build up to 1 rep max
Conditioning:
  • In the first minute complete 1 KB Swing.
  • In the second minute compete 2 Pushups.
  • In the third minute complete 3 KB Swings.
  • In the fourth minute complete 4 Pushups.
Continue in this manner until you can no longer complete the prescribed number of reps in a given minute.
RX'd weight is 32kg for men and 24kg for women. Scale accordingly.

Second to last time working out with the kiddies (moving to New Haven, CT...WooT!), and it was a classic rock kind of day. I can make my peace with that.  After an uneventful warm-up, I staked out some real estate right in front of the radio and got to work with the close grip benches. As always, lacking a rack of any kind, every set was started with a hang power clean, a squat down to the bench, then lying down with the weight. The worst part (by the end of the workout) was having to do a press to get the weight up to the "start" position, then struggle to get it BACK up there to actually complete the first rep. Both failures at 185# included a perfect close-grip bench press, but failed out AFTER the slow negative that started the rep. Fair enough, but MeMeMeMeMeMeeee!

Close Grip Bench Press:
weight #105125145155165175185185
reps333222FF

Since my previous PR on the close grip bench press was 145# (but for a set of 5 at a slower (read: harder) tempo), this was a substantial improvement. Had I not been up against the end of the 15 minute timer, I would have shot for 180# just to put a cap on it. As it stands, I now have a new PR to shoot for!

After resting a bit, I got set up for the dumbbell swing/push-up ladder, using a 55# dumbbell rather than the non-existent and truly impressive 70# weight called for! I knew going in that the first few rounds would be easy, but that it would ramp up quickly. I was a little impressed with how long I managed to keep every set of push-ups unbroken (broke in the 12th minute), and was very happy to beat my goal of 10 minutes. I figured the push-ups were going to catch up with me faster than they did, which was pretty cool. I almost made it out of the 16th minute, but only scored 14 push-ups. Had I gotten those last two, I think I could have easily banged out the 17 swings... but alas, twas not to be.

Dumbbell swing/Puh-Up ladder:
15 minutes plus 14 push-ups ( 64 swings, 70 pushups total)

Cooled down with some extra jump-rope practice, working on both extended single-bounce counts and some double-under work. All in all, not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment