Friday, October 29, 2010

10-10-29: Wall-balls, GHD Sit-Ups, Back Extensions

CrossFit WoD for Friday, October 29th, 2010
Complete as many rounds as possible 20 minutes of:
Austin Malleolo 16 rounds + 10 wall ball, Karianne Dickson 15 rounds (14lb ball),  Kim Malz 11 rounds + 8 shots (20lb ball).

Austin Malleolo on today's WOD - video [wmv] [mov]

Brandon showing the full range of motion for a good wall ball. (crossfit.com)
Notice the rigid legs, allowing both quads and abs to contribute to a proper GHD sit-up. Isolation is for steroid-mongers. (crossfit.com)
Hang down vertically, then hit this position. Repeat. (crossfit.com)
Started out with the sorest, tightest calves I've had in recent memory. Thanks, 5K from yesterday! So, after a very thorough warm-up and active stretching, I got myself set for today's particular brand of hell. Upshot is that the place where I put the chair (for squat depth...and it might be a little high, but lower than I would go without a guide) is very close to the GHD.  Unfortunately, the GHD is squeezed between our not-a-Gravitron and the rotten leg-extension/curl machine, so once fatigue kicks in, maneuvering on and off the thing is a pain in the ass, nevermind the fact that its raised up 6-8 inches for no reason, requiring the placement of a dumbbell on end on the floor to act as a target.  In other words:

Yeah, I'll get over it. Wasn't too bad until the last 2-3 rounds, when I seriously did have some trouble negotiating my way in and out of the GHD without killing myself.

I was averaging about 1:30 per round (which seems super long, even for the later rounds, but I realized later that I was shooting WAAAAY high on the wall for the wall-balls, so each rep takes quite a bit longer, plus time to edge around into the GHD, then back out of it afterwards. Bah, see the picture right above.

Total rounds: 9 + 10 wallballs.

I had to stop before round 7, I think, to stretch my back and hamstrings, both of which were definitely starting to lock up badly.  It got me through the rest of the workout, but I was completely shot, back-wise, for a few hours afterwards.  I betcha tomorrow is gonna be fun!  I've had to stop to stretch legs a few times this afternoon, and calves every chance I get.  Hopefully it helps!

Musical accompaniment:
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box (<--- Hey!)
Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Metallica - My Friend of Misery
Iron Maiden - Aces High
DragonForce - Operation Ground and Pound
Amon Amarth - Valhalla Awaits Me
a few others. Not a bad mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment