Wednesday, January 5, 2011

11-01-04: "DT"

CrossFit Garden City WoD for Tuesday January 4th, 2011
"DT"
Five rounds for time of:
  • 155# 95# Deadlift, 12 reps
  • 155# 95# pound Hang power clean, 9 reps
  • 155# 95# pound Push jerk, 6 reps
DT-th.jpg
In honor of USAF SSgt Timothy P. Davis, 28, who was killed on Feburary, 20 2009 supporting operations in OEF when his vehicle was struck by an IED. Timothy is survived by his wife Megan and one-year old son T.J.


Warmed up, active stretching.  Played a bit with my new AbMat.  It is surprisingly awesome!! By forcing you to maintain a healthy lumbar curve, all of your ab contraction goes into lifting your torso off the ground, rather than having the very first contraction merely slam your lower back into the ground.  Very cool work, AbMat people!

After that, I played around a bit with the three moves for the workout.  Started with 135# on the bar, which was way light for the deadlifts, kinda heavy for the hang power cleans, and all but unmanageable for the push jerks.  Upshot was that I could actually do all of them, there was just NO way I was going to be able to manage a full round of reps, much less 5 rounds.  I considered dropping to 105# (bar plus 2 35# plates) and opted to go all the way down to 95#. Someone at CrossFit Garden City had already completed the workout at 95# in 11:xx, so I figured I would try to pace off of that.

Deadlifts were all fairly easy, and I completed all 5 rounds of them unbroken.  Unfortunately, I really struggled to keep a good lumbar curve throughout the entire workout, and was horrified to realize, about 4 reps from the end of the 5th round, just how badly my back was arching at the bottom of the deadlifts.  Apparently I had worked my core as much as it wanted to be worked because even taking a second to try to find correct form was nearly impossible. Ugh. Definitely have to work on that. There may be schools of thought that round-back deadlifts are ok. I am NOT a member of those schools.

Hang power cleans were iffy. The first 2 rounds went easily enough, but I started realizing that during the initial dip, I was also bending over slightly at the waist, screwing up the lift path of the bar. Watching the how-to video on CrossFit, I think my entire approach to the dip was wrong.... Even more important, I realized a bit after the fact, when my knees started throbbing, that i was failing to keep my knees tracking out over my feet during the dip. It's not a hugely obvious fault, but I realized I tend to let them track in when I'm not doing a full squat-type motion.  Once or twice, not a big deal.  However, 30 reps in with weight... not good. Definitely something to keep a MUCH closer eye on next time.

Even more unfortunately, the same issue plagued my push jerks, only now the problem was doubled by having to both dip to initiate the drive and then dip again to get underneath the bar for the catch.  These felt way better (at the time) after working them at my Level 1 certification back in mid-December, which is when I actually realized I was dipping poorly...if only I had remembered that during this workout.  Lame.  Overall, these were ok.  Every set was unbroken, just out of sheer terror of having to pick up the weight again, or saddle myself with an extra power clean to start up again!

Total Time: 13:25


After the workout, I played with my new gymnastic rings, attached to the frame of the Smith machine. Very short straps, but considering I still couldn't hold the control position at all, the straps are clearly long enough.  More fun to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment