Friday, June 17, 2011

11-06-17: Kettlebell swings and burpees

Elm City Crossfit WoD for June 15th, 2011
Left is bad. Right is good. Maintaining a locked in core, even on the upswing, protects the entire back and ensures the generation of power throughout the movement, rather than relying on whipping the upper trunk.

WoD:
  • 100 Kettlebell Swings - 2 1.5 pood (55#)
  • Every minute 1 burpee
The workouts that seem easy enough on the whiteboard are surely those that will hurt you fastest. Though I set a great pace for the first minute or so, I quickly ran up against the wall of my sucky metabolic conditioning. I also struggled with controlling the 55# kettlebell. In order to ensure good form (ears in front of arm at the top of the swing, kb well overhead), I had to give the kb a little extra juice as I got tired. This resulted in the handle rotating in my hands a bit. Even though I was chalked up, it still ended up tearing callouses on both hands, worse than I've ever had (which just goes to show how lilly-white I am in lots of respects!)

I don't even know my total time. It was 8 or 9 minutes and change. Much as I wanted to die by about rep 50, the one thing I'm hanging my pride on was my determination to hit every burpee as cleanly as I could. The only reason I had to do more than 2-3 was my own conditioning, so if it counts as punishment, I wanted it to be worthwhile.  

Working on rehabbing my hands as fast as possible, and already putting together a shopping list of what I'll need to WoD tomorrow.  Hopefully its not too hand-centric.  If there's pull-ups, I'm screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment