Monday, June 6, 2011

11-06-06: First class at Elm City Crossfit

Elm City CrossFit WoD for June 6, 2011

Press position: feet under the hips, shoulders shrugged up, so the muscles are supporting the weight, not bone grinding on bone in your shoulder and back.


Strength:
 - Press @ 82% 3x7

Sellout:
3 Rounds for time:
  • 10 Hand-Stand Push-ups (Scaling: Pike push-up off 18" box) 
  • 10 Kettlebell Swings 70# 55#

First time working out in a month, and its in an actual gym, with an actual crew of like minded people... heaven!!  After a thorough warm-up (foam rolling, muscle activations, stretches, etc, some of which were very new to me), we walked through the technique of the press (aka overhead press). A few warm-ups sets with a slightly weighted pvc pipe were all I needed to remember where I was and what I was supposed to be doing.

We split up into groups by height/strength lines, and I ended up with the slightly taller, but not quite as strong guys: perfect.  While we all did similar weights on our warm-up sets, I was happy to see my group was all in the same ballpark (115# for me and another guy, Larry, 135# for our third, John), while the next group over was banging out 145+#.  Not me... not YET. ;)

My first two sets of 7 were intense, but not too bad. I did have one bobble, on the final rep, where every instinct in my body was telling me to either push press or push jerk the bar, and telling my body not to do it almost resulted in a total train-wreck. In the final set, I failed twice on the 5th rep before dropping the bar. It was *magical* to workout in a place that actually has squat racks, bumper plates, AND a nicely padded, solid floor. All of that adds up to an ability to workout at the ragged edges, rather than safely (and ineffectively) well within your boundaries. Sweet.

Presses @ 115#: 7 / 7 / 4x

The met-con was a beast, hitting the same shoulder muscles we had just abused with the presses. I should have opted for the scaling of having my knees on a taller box, as it would have put me both more vertical AND supported more of the weight. I need to learn how to kick up into a supported headstand, as the banded version off the pull-up bar looked pretty sweet, too. Hm...  

Handstand Push-Up/Kettlebell Swing Couplet: 4:17 (no where near the fastest, but not the slowest either. I LIKE this group!)

No comments:

Post a Comment