Monday, October 17, 2011

11-10-14: Rope climbs and wall-balls

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Friday, October 14th, 2011
Annie Sakamoto and Amanda Allen rocking the rope climb at the 2011 CrossFit Games. (crossfit.com)

Wall-balls. Use a full body extension to power a med-ball up to the target. If we didn't have to squat to full depth, these would be easy for us tall guys (thanks for pointing that out, Drywall. I used to like these... As it is... stupid standards.) (crossfit.com)

WoD: 20min or 300 points
Score is total rope climbs + wall-balls = 154


This would be my first time climbing ropes since elementary school. It turns out, I'm still afraid of heights! (Well, I already knew that, and really, its not the height so much as the terror of falling....).  Instead of a full rope climb (15-20'), I completed 2 2/3rd attempts on the knotted rope (where the rope is tied into knots every 4-5'... much easier to climb!).  Definitely at the hairy end of my comfort zone, height wise, but I'm hoping that as I get used to the work and bored with only going up part way, I'll eventually push on to the next knot, then the next, then the ceiling. Baby steps out the door, baby steps down the stairs...


Thought this workout was never going to end. Kept track of score just in the off hope that I would finish early. Hah. 20 minutes later, I had amassed 154 points, and learned a new way to rest with the wall-ball in the bottom of the squat, where I didn't have to actually hold the ball off the floor, but had it cradled in my legs and arms. Much easier than standing there holding it against your diaphragm wondering why its so hard to breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment