Monday, October 17, 2011

11-10-17: O-lift and box jump triplet

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Monday October 17th, 2011
Some women can be scared of learning the Olympic lifts, afraid of becoming big and burly. This is Natalie Burgener snatching far more than I can, and though it looks like she's working hard, she certainly doesn't look big and burly. Just awesome. (crossfitfootball.com)
(videos reposted from the original ECC workout page, because they are awesome)





WoD: AMRAP 3 x 4min on:1min off
  • 7 Power Cleans 135# 115#
  • 20 Box Jumps 24"
  • 3 Snatches (full) 135# 65#
I felt pretty good on the warm-up (pvc pipe with re-bar inside) but as usual, the transition to the real bar was intimidating. Warmed up a couple of power cleans and full snatches. Oddly, today the snatches felt better than the cleans, but I soon realized I was having trouble transitioning from the third pull (ankles, kness, and hips open, elbows high and wide, shoulders shrugged) to punching my elbows under the bar, especially on the left side. I tried some extra stretching and mobilization, but nothing really seemed to unlock it. No matter how fast I tried to make the transition, I kept getting caught out of position by the bar, resulting in it glancing/knocking on my clavicle more often than being caught on my shoulders. Basically, ow.

Worked up to the weights I was comfortable using the for the workout, which was just a hot mess of exhaustion. What ended up being nice about the weights I picked was that, each time my form lined up correctly, the weight felt WAY too light. A properly performed 65# snatch felt like I was throwing a stick up in the air. Of course, those perfect reps were the exception, and NOT the norm, but that's ok. It means that the skill is in there somewhere, now I just need to make those correct efforts the norm, rather than the exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment