Wednesday, June 6, 2012

12-05-xx:The Big Catch-Up Post!

Over a month's worth of WoDs from Elm City CrossFit

Ok, holy crap, its been over a month since I updated this thing. In rapid order, and with no record of times or accomplishments, are the WoDs I've been a part of since April 27th, my last post.


12-05-01: Running, Chelsea/Cindy, MORE Running!
WoD: For Time

  • 800m Run
  • *50 Pull-ups
  • *100 Push-ups
  • *150 Squats
  • 800m Run
*done as 10 sets of 5-10-15

If you're CF savvy, you'll spot that this is a variation on either Chelsea or Cindy (both of which involve sets of 5-10-15 pull-ups, push-ups and squats. Only kicker? The bookmarking 800m runs. Needless to say, the pull-ups kicked my ass, the push-ups caught up with me, the squats were easy, and the first run was waaay easier than the second. Second one was actually harder because my arms were too shattered to help me with momentum... ugh. Slowest time of the day... whatever it was.


12-05-02: Kettlebells, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, and sprints
WoD:
3 x 3 for time:

    • 5ea SA KBS
    • 10 SLDL @ ½ BW
    • Crack Dash
    1 minute rest between each round (so after every 3rd crack dash (means sprint to you and me...)

    This started easy and got AWFUL really fast. Definitely a pain in the butt a day after a full body burner. Ugh.

    12-05-04: Pull-Ups and Bear Crawls
    WoD: For Time 75 Pull-ups *unbroken
    *every break equal one bear crawl loop


    Sheer awfulness. Used a nice heavy band, and still ultimately lost count of how many bear crawls I did. Enough that I could barely bear crawl OR do pull-ups by the end. The only band stiff enough to get me up and over the bar with ANY sort of form is the black band, which is so taut I can't actually hit full extension while standing in it: Not an option. I'm more likely to spike myself into the ceiling like a rivet with that thing!

    12-05-08: Cleans and sprints
    WoD: 7x 90sec to complete:
    • 3 Cleans
    • Crack Dash
    Not a bad workout. I don't remember my clean weight, but it was heavy, but not undoable. The problem with waiting a month to actually write it up (yes, it IS in a notebook... at the gym!)

    12-05-09: Rope Climbs and Double-Unders 
    WoD: 15min AMRAP
    • 1 Rope Climb
    • 20 Double Unders
    Thank god for the knotted rope. Made a bunch of ascents (maybe 8?) before having a panicky moment near the top when it felt like my grip was really giving out. Transferred over to doing 10 ring rows for the final two rounds, which was where it  became obvious that my grip WAS completely gone, as I could barely do a rep or two before sliding off the rings, just no grip left. Most of the jumping was single-unders, but I mixed in as many double-unders as I could. Might have gotten more rounds with just single-unders, but that would have reduced my rest time between climbs, so that just would have been me hitting the grip wall even faster. Likely amounts to about the same.

    10 rounds, x extra ring rows


    12-05-14: Front Squats, Overhead Squats and Snatches
    WoD: 3x7
    Front Squat @ 75%
    Followed by: Heavy Singles of overhead squat or snatch

    Completed every round of front squats unbroken, only had grip issues on the first set (finishing it with the silly California front squat grip I so hate and rely on sometimes). After banging those out, I opted to work on my overhead squats. After getting in several heavy singles on them, I also started to mix in the occasional snatch, but was having trouble getting fully under the bar in a full squat, so went back to the overhead squats to help myself get more comfortable in all ranges of the motion with the bar overhead.

    12-05-16: Skill/Max day!
    5 attempts each:
    • Max Weight Dead-hang Pull-Up (no-kip)
    • Max Height Box Jump
    • Row 500m
    This was a fun day (other than Coach Kimmie racking herself on a box jump and ending up with awful lumps on her shins. Fortunately they were merely superficial!)  Managed a deadhang pull-up with a 35# kettlebell attached. Made a few attempts to best that with the 44# 'bell and just couldn't manage it. Next time. Box jumps were another story. 24"? Easy. 30"? Easy. 36"? Easy. 40"? NOT easy... but I made it. Tried to make it to 44" but just couldn't get over the fear factor. Every attempt at that height was pathetic, with my feet not even making it over the seam of the bottom box (two boxes on their sides, one 45# plate on top), so its not like I was just missing. I was completely psyching myself out.

    Rowed an ok first attempt on the 500m, and was more or less happy to leave it there. However, after the crappy attempts at the box jump, I decided to crank out another 500m, and shaved a good 10s off my time.


    12-05-18: Jerks and skills
    WoD: 20 Singles:
     - Jerk (front and/or back) @ 80%
    Sellout: Skill work

    Jerks out of a weight rack are so much more fun than off the floor... though, to mix things up, I did do a few reps as clean and jerks, just to mix it up. Jerking from behind the neck is so much infinitely easier (you don't need to move the head out of the way of the bar path, so its a simpler movement overall). Weight?

    12-05-21: Wallballs, mountain climbers and crab walks
    WoD: 2x 6min on: 3min off
    • 3 Wallballs(20#, 10' target)
    • 10 Mountain Climbers (1to1)
    • 1 loop Crab Walk 
    I don't remember how many rounds I completed... all I remember is that the wallballs were easy, the mountain climbers were fast, and the crab walks devastated me.


    12-05-23: Bench presses and max-rep push-ups
    WoD: Rounds of 5-4-3 reps, then 3s till failure (If you miss a 3, you're done!)
    • Bench @ 85%
    • max rep push-up
    Round of 5 was easy, 4 was ok, first round of 3 totally sucked, but at that point, the push-ups really tapered off, and stopped being such a drain on the bench press. Managed 4 rounds of 3, failing on the final rep of that fourth round. I almost made it too... right up until the bar changed directions and had to be caught by the spotter (Thanks Vin!)


    12-05-25: Interval kettlebell swings and box-jumps
    WoD: 4x
    • 1min Kettlebell Swings
    • 1min Box Jumps (step down only)
    • 1min Rest
    My only goal was to try to maintain reps from one round to the next (count was total number of reps across both exercises each round), which I managed. I don't remember now which version of the swing I did... though it was probably the traditional/Russian swing out in front, rather than overhead. I believe about this time I read an article discussing the differences, and have started going overhead. This workout may makr the last time I did traditional swings. Ah well.


    12-05-28: Memorial Day Team WoD!
    WoD: For time (entire team)
    • 400m weighted run 35#
    • 50 squats
    • 25 pull-ups
    • 100m run
    • 50 burpees
    • 25 weighted sit-ups 35#
    • 800m run 
    Six 3-person teams squared off to tackle this beast of a workout, dreamed up on the spot by Coaches Vin, Bobby and Kimmie (mostly Vin and Bobby...bastards).  Every member had to to do every rep, and move from movement to movement together as a team. However, 1 person from each time could move ahead and complete the entire workout on their own, then swing back to help a struggling teammate with whatever they were chipping away at.  My team was Woody, Azaria, and myself: clearly Woody was going to be the sprinter on this one, and indeed he was. There were two things that made me excited about this one: it was my first team WoD, and it was also the first time Jen and Emma had come out to meet the crew and watch me compete. Nerves!!!

    Long story short, we came in last, mostly because I got mud-stomped by the pull-ups, and Z got mud-stomped by the burpees. Woody came back around during the burpee phase, helping Z out with her final reps while I went on to sit-ups. As I struggled through them (its really hard to breath during sit-ups with a 35# plate on your chest... I felt bad for those who did it with the Rx'd 45#!), Bobby offered me the option of scaling the run to 400m, just 2x around the parking lot. I declined, and struggled through the full 800m, but was determined to complete the WoD as written (other than using a band on the pull-ups. I think I forgot to mention that... Meh.) Awesome day, and a great time was had by all!

    12-05-30: Chipper Disasterpiece
    WoD: For Time:
    • 15 Pull-ups
    • 30 Push-ups
    • 45 Squats
    • 2min Rest
    • 9 Deadlifts @ 225#
    • 9 Hand-stand Push-Ups
    • 2min Rest
    • 400m Run
    • 15 Overhead squat 95# 
    • 2min Rest
    • 50 Double-Unders 150 single-unders
    • 50 Sit-ups
    Holy crap did this one suck. Especially two days after the Memorial Day chipper, to hit another epic full body disaster really kind of hurt! The only thing that kept it interesting was knowing that each couple/triplet was a round of one of the named workouts, so that was fun. The workout was HARD. One big upshot was doing all the weights as Rx'd easily, and even though I subbed out single for double-unders, I completed all 150 jumps unbroken. So, that was kind of awesome.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment