Thursday, July 15, 2010

10-07-15: 400m runs and rest

CrossFit WoD for July 15th, 2010

For 20 minutes:
  • Run 400 meters 
Rest precisely the time of the previous run.  Record total distance.

Distance: 1.5 miles (2400m).

This was an awful, awful experience, mostly because I hate running with a passion.  We opted to head up to the reservoir in Central Park, there to endure the 83 degree weather (not that bad), 62% humidity (kind of bad), and herds of tourists on bikes just standing around.  Get out of the way, dammit!  I'm reminded of something I saw somewhere once:
When I'm driving, I hate pedestrians. When I'm walking, I hate drivers.  But I *always* hate cyclists.
So, yeah. Nothing changed today.

After spending some time figuring out logistics for ways to keep this thing trackable, we started running. We marked off 200m, ran there and back, and rested near the water fountain. Genius!  Unfortunately, the first 200m was all uphill, and the second was all downhill, which is probably a good thing if you're an experienced runner who can coast and recharge on the downhills. If you're me, it sucks.

Post running body-check: Knees seem ok, but they'll hurt more later, if they are going to.  Short-term, my calves are CRUSHED. I'm going to be walking with a hitch in my giddy-up all weekend, methinks. My feet are super sore, as well.  I did this work-out in indoor soccer shoes, figuring that was as close to Vibrams as I could get, and infinitely smarter for city running than going truly barefoot.  I do know that if I were in running shoes, using my 'older' running style (heel-strike) I'd be crippled in both the ankles an knees.  Since that's not that case, apparently I did something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment