Wednesday, July 7, 2010

10-07-06: Pull-ups, Dips, Sit-Ups, Squats

CrossFit WoD for Thursday, July 1st, 2010

10 6 rounds for time:

  • 10x Pull-ups
  • 10x Dips
  • 10x Sit-ups
  • 10x Squats
After nearly a week off, I was eager to get back to work.  However, as some of you may know, its been a bit brutally hot and humid here in the NYC the last few days, and yesterday was probably the worst of it.  I was drenched with sweat after a light warm-up!  The nasty, humid kind of sweat that doesn't actually cool you off at all. 

So, I tore into the workout, finishing 3 rounds fairly quickly... though I was definitely struggling with the bodyweight pull-ups.  However, after the 4th round, between the heat and fatigue, I just felt my strength totally disappearing.  After taking advantage of the craptastic gravatron*, I did the 5th round with 40# of weight assist, which was still not quite enough.  However, by the end of the dips (also with weight assist), I was racked with full-body exhaustion shakes (that said, I could probably have kept going with the sit-ups and squats...).  I rested a bit, drank some water, and sat in front of a fan trying to get my temp down.

Fought through the 6th and final round with 80# weight assist on the pull-ups and dips.  Spent a good 10-15 minutes just trying to stop sweating and getting my heart rate down before heading back up to the office.  Ended up nearly soaking through my work clothes during the few minutes between sitting in front of the fan and getting back into my AC'ed office.

*It's not really a gravitron.  It's some other off brand of 'weight-assist pull-up and dip' tower.  In their infinite wisdom, the posts that hold the dip bars come STRAIGHT out of the tower, meaning that they are in the perfect position to get you in the crotch, thighs and knees, depending on your technique.  Kipping is almost completely out, unless its a slow controlled kip motion.  I managed to bash my left knee and right quad on the same pull-up, which also served to demotivate the crap out of me. I'll need to get a pic of this horrific piece of crap.  Great idea, just not enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment