Wednesday, July 28, 2010

10-07-28: 5K Run

CrossFit WoD for July 28th, 2010

Run 5K

Seems simple enough.  After a little time loosening up on the old exercise bike, did some active stretching, then walked up to the Central Park reservoir.  Total circumference = >1.5 miles, so two laps equals 5K more or less.  So, that was the plan.

Kept a good pace for the first 3/4 miles, took a short walk break to get my breath back, then ran another 1/4 mile.  Another short walk, a much shorter run, and another walk brought me back around to the start.  Ran for about another 1/4 mile, putting me at the 96th street(?) entrance to the reservoir, and had to stop.  My knees, especially the left, were acting up a bit since yesterday's Air Force WoD (mostly due to hamstring and adductor tightness) (Note: did you know its apparently impossible to find a single muscle diagram on the web that shows both the hamstrings AND the adductors? Seriously!)
You'll notice on the hamstrings image how the semitendinosus and the semimembranosus both stretch around the back of the knee to the kneecap?  Yup, that appears to be the source of my knee aches and pains: Short, stiff hamstrings yanking on the kneecap, screwing up the patellar tendon.  Whoo-hoo!  Which is why stretching definitely eases the pain significantly.

So, I decided to call it at about 1.75 miles.  I felt GREAT during the first stretch...far better, and far more able to deal with any sort of distance than I've felt in a long time.  True, it was a fairly short distance, but for someone who almost never runs any sort of distance, it was great proof of concept.  Unfortunately, my concerns over my knees definitely made me a tighter runner, as I can also feel that workout throughout my shoulders and back right now, which definitely made it harder overall to cover distance efficiently.  Which is obviously the name of the game in a 5K!

Me, I want to be like these guys...just not necessarily for the insane distances:
Tarahumara runner Arnulfo Quimare runs alongside ultra-runner Scott Jurek in Mexico's Copper Canyons

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html#ixzz0v02cLn1q

No comments:

Post a Comment