Tuesday, February 15, 2011

11-02-15: Turkish Get-Ups, Rowing, and Lots of Hot Dumbbell Action

CrossFit Garden City WoD for February 2nd, 2011
Warmup:3 sets of:
  • 10 OH Squats
  • 1 min Double Under Practice
Strength:Turkish Get Up
 - 10 heavy reps per arm in 10 minutes.
25# x 2 / 30# x 2 / 35# x 2 / 40# x 2 / 45# x 2
Training:
  • 15 Dumbbell Push Press
  • Row 500 meters
  • 15 Dumbbell Front Squat
  • Row 500 meters
  • 15 Dumbbell Thruster
  • Row 500 meters
  • 15 Dumbbell Front Squat
  • Row 500 meters
  • 15 Dumbbell Push Press
RX'd weight for KB/DB is 53#/35#. Choose a weight that allows for all sets to be unbroken but VERY challenging. 25# dumbbells

Ah, PVC pipe makes the learning (and warming up) so much easier! Note the weight is directly over the middle of the foot, even in the full squat position, and the shoulders are shrugged up and active, carrying the weight on the lats, rather than letting the shoulder grind together. (crossfit.com)
Double-unders. Since this was taken at the CrossFit Games, I presume she's better at them than I am. Darnit. (crossfit.com)
Turkish Get-ups. This position is important. Someday I'll know if I'm hitting it or not. (crossfit.com)
Note the very unhappy faces on the guys doing dumbbell thrusters. Even doing it with half-the weight didn't make it any better, trust me. OK, I could have gone heavier... (crossfit.com)
Rowing... metabolic conditioning fun for all ages! (Seriously.) (crossfit.com)

After a surprisingly long and bad-food filled weekend, I wasn't feeling super great today... sounds like the *perfect* time to do a nice long workout! However, I did throw in a few extra dips and lat pulls to start out, just to loosen up... um... prior to loosening up with the warm-up. Sigh.

I definitely found myself wishing we had stuff like broomsticks or PVC pipe for the overhead squat bit of the warm-up. Going in kind of cold (and having sucky shoulder mobility), 10 squats with the 35# bar overhead got pretty heavy pretty quickly! After the minute's worth of double-unders (at which I sucked, by the way), I took some time using the jump-rope to perform shoulder dislocates, trying to loosen up said sucky shoulders. However, by the time I was done with the warm-up, I was definitely warmed up, so that was pretty awesome.

I know I've done a lot of Turkish get-ups, and a lot of those were with the 35# barbell... so theoretically that should have been a good starting point, but I decided to be safe and start a bit lower, and work up through and past it. 5 rounds of two reps per arm each sounded about right, increasing the weight for each round. 25#? Easy. 30#? Easy! 35# Easy! 40# Really kind of hard. 45#? Failed my first few attempts to sit-up in the first place, but after taking a few seconds to regroup, managed to fight through it! I know I need some coaching on the TGU, as the placement of the hand while getting up completely defines the rest of the movement... and I have NO idea where I'm putting it while actually under a weight. That is NOT good. :S

After recovering for a bit, and feeling a new kind of shoulder weakness/soreness/fatigue, opted to go a bit lighter on the weights for the final conditioning workout. 25# dumbbells would be more than enough to suck, especially on the thrusters. Daring? No. Sure to keep me from killing myself? Probably. All in all, the weights were probably a bit light, as the harder part of the workout seemed to be keeping the time decreasing on the rower (hooray for the ability to compete against your previous row), though I did get my ass handed to me on the final row. The thrusters, my main fear going into this, were indeed awful, but the rest of the sets were only marginally bad... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment