Wednesday, February 8, 2012

12-02-08: Bodyweight Squats

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Wednesday, February 8th, 2012

Karianne Dickson works backsquats with Louie Simmons and the rest of the Westside Barbell crew. In other words, there is much awesomeness in this pic.

More back squat awesomeness.

Box jumps. Der!


Strength: 5x
  • Max Rep Back Squat @ Bodyweight (185# (Ideal BW))
  • 3 Box Jumps
  • 2 minute recovery
 A good simple strength workout. As many reps of back squats as possible (capped at 15), followed by three quick box jumps. Slow powerful movement followed by explosive movement. Awesome. The first round, I was glad for the rep cap, though I'm not really sure how many more reps I could have done... I just wanted to max out at least one round. The three box jumps after that were  murder, but they were nothing compared to the squats that followed! I managed to gut out 10 reps in the 2nd and 3rd and rounds, but everything kind of caught up in the 4th: 6 whole squats before I nearly fell over coming out of the bottom.

Its funny how the body recovers, though. Having only done 6 reps meant that I had less to recover from during the two minutes of rest, letting me jump back up to 10 reps for the final round. The only thing that kept me going was that I wanted more than "the next big round number," in this case 9 reps, which would have brought me to just 50. I'm a sucker for a big round number, so getting past it before crapping out was kind of a small victory. I'll take it!
 
Reps: 15/10/10/6/10 = 51

No comments:

Post a Comment