Friday, February 17, 2012

12-02-17: Deadlifts

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Friday, February 17th, 2012
Deadlift. Why I love this picture: Note the abs and core working overtime to stabilize the massive load hanging from the arms.

Heather Bergeron rocking deadlifts in the 2011 CrossFit Games.
Jolie Gentry banging out deadlifts at the 2008 CrossFit Games (I think...)

The Terminator lifts more weight in one lift than I've probably lifted in my entire life combined. Jerk.
Camille Leblanc-Bazinet, either deadlifting or setting up for a clean of some kind. All I know is that every time I include a picture and reference to Camille, my traffic quadruples. So, thanks for being awesome, Camille, and thanks to everyone googling for pics of you!
Back extensions. They seem easy until they start sucking. Usually on the 3rd or 4th rep.


I'm not going to lie... warming up to work weight on the deadlift was an almost depressing experience. Having recently increased my 1 rep max substantially, all of my scaled work is a lot harder than it used to be. Obviously, this is good in almost every regard except for the one where one of my warm-up sets just feels so freaking heavy... because it used to BE my one-rep max. So hooray progress, booo stupid heavy bar! 

After going over the movements, standards, and safety, we started warming up to our work weights. 135# is officially my starting weight, followed by 225# and 275#. As I said, even 275# felt heavy (of course it is... it just didn't need to FEEL it.), and moving up to 315# felt like I was going to be seriously in trouble to complete the workout. In the moment, it actually kind of felt like a victory just slapping on the additional 5# plates on each side to get me up to my working weight of 325#. 1.5x bodyweight for the workout. Neat! From 275# on, I used the alternating grip (most obviously in the Ahnold picture up there), changing which hand was supine on each set.

For the most part, the deadlifts ended up being pretty uneventful. Having gotten caught starting one of my warm-ups with a stripper pole move (start the lift by raising the butt without moving the bar off the floor at all...), I tried to keep my form in check. The only  issue came at the start of the 4th round, when the bar completely failed to come off the floor. After taking a quick breath, I swapped my grip to supinate the right hand (which has always felt a little stronger) and whoo-pah! that bar came right off the floor. I finished out the fifth round with the same grip, no problems.

The sell-out was ok, though targeting the lower back with the hip & back extensions right after deadlifts meant that the extensions were kind of a pain in the ass... well, in the back, I guess. The kettlebell calf raises were very uneventful... after a career of doing super-heavy machine squats and calf raises, doing them with two kettlebells was downright easy. Of course, since it worked my grip some more, all the muscles used to support the weight hanging off the frame, and involved the core to maintain balance and whatnot, the reduced weights are more than made up for by the massively increased music demand across the entire body.

Ooh yeah, feel the burn, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment