Wednesday, February 29, 2012

12-02-29: Deadlifts, baby!

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Wednesday, February 29th, 2012
Heather Bergeron deadlifting at last year's games.

Jolie Gentry deadlifting at the '08 CrossFit Games. Or '09? '10? I'm not sure.
Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet deadlifting.

Josh Everett lifting 100#s MORE than today's PR. Read on to see how awesome that makes Josh.




Max: Deadlift
  • 3 attempts/post warm-up
Attempts must be declared

Time once again to try for a one rep max. My last, set on December 28th, was 365#. Two months ago, 365# was brand new and terrifying. Since hitting it, I've been dying to hit 400#. Let's face it, I'm human, I wanted a big-sounding round number.

After a roll-out and warm-up that felt good for the first time in a week since the Leg Catastrophe last Wednesday, we reviewed the basics and standards for the deadlift. After warming up at 185# for 10 reps, I started jumping up in weight. My one big concern was over-warming up and being shot by the time I got to my max attempts, so I did 5 reps at 225#, 4 at 275#, 3 at 315#, then singles on up. After re-confirming that I could, indeed, lift 365# off the ground, it was time to put up or shut up.

One thing about max rep days: We get three attempts, but if you set a new record on the first attempt, you can consider yourself good for the day, if you want. For my first attempt, I went for a 20# PR at 385#. Boom. The weight came up pretty easily, though my form was less than perfect. My butt came up a bit before the bar, meaning I lifted the weight more with my back than I needed to. Lame.

I was more or less willing to let it go with that. A 20# PR is nothing to shake a stick at... but writing 385# in my book, circling it, jotting "1RM PR" next to it, and writing it up on the last page... it felt empty. I wanted that 400#, dammit. After rejiggering the weights on the bar, I declared an attempt at 400#. The only insanely stupid thing was that I was adding another 15# to an already 20# PR... sort of a lot of weight to be adding on at the raggedy edges of my abilities...

10 seconds later, I had an even newer PR to write in the book. 400#, and it came up off the floor smoothly. I *think* my form was better than on the previous attempt, but I'm not entirely sure. All I know is that the lock-out was solid, there were no grip issues, all in all it felt like a great lift. So great, I decided to quit while I was ahead on this one. All in all, I'm going to be whining like a little kid with a stubbed toe the next time we have to do a workout involving percentages of 1RM. I'll have to do reps on a weight that, until about 6am, was my 1 rep max. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment