Tuesday, August 10, 2010

10-08-10: "AdamBrown" Hero WoD

Two rounds for time of:
  • 295 135 pound Deadlift, 24 reps
  • 24 Box jumps, 24 inch box
  • 24 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
  • 195 135/95 pound Bench press, 24 reps
  • 24 Box jumps, 24 inch box
  • 24 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
  • 145 95 pound Clean, 24 reps

Mikko Salo 21:59, Kristan Clever 27:15 (185lb dead, 24" box, 16lb ball, 120lb bench, 100lb clean), Peter Egyed 28:28, Rebecca Voigt30:20 (185lb dead, 24" box, 16lb ball, 120lb bench, 100lb clean).

Navy Chief Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) Adam Lee Brown, 36, of Hot Springs, Arkansas, was killed on March 17th, 2010 in Komar Province, Afghanistan, in a battle against heavily armed militants. He is survived by his wife, Kelley, two children, Nathan and Savannah, and by his parents.

Scalings are again courtesy the fine folks over at CrossFit BrandX.

First few exercises were ok...it's always weird to be sucking heavy wind after deadlifts, but managed to get through the boxjumps and wallballs easily enough. However, I got tripped up on the bench presses.  As I've mentioned before (I think), we don't have a proper bench press bench, meaning each set of bench presses involves at least one hang power clean, then a sitting front squat (or whatever you want to call sitting on the bench under load, then lying down, and finally getting ready to "start" the exercise.)  Well, it turns out that 135# was a bit too much for all that. Managed to bang out about 12-13 presses when my right wrist started acting up. Rested a bit, tried for one more, and realized I wouldn't be able to finish with 135# on the bar.  Stopped for a bit, decided to drop it to the weight I would be using for the cleans later (have I mentioned that we only have the one "moderately good" barbell?), 95#.  Finished up the set with that, and was on to the rest of the first rounds box jumps and wall balls.

The cleans went pretty well, but by this point the oxygen thing was catching up with me, so those 24 reps ended up divided into sub-sets of 8-10-6 so I could try to keep my throat and lungs from catching fire.  After a short rest, slapped the extra 40# back on the bar for the deadlifts.  Split time on the first round was about 16 minutes.

Again, I was able to more or less power through the deadlifts, box jumps and wall-balls, but again got caught off by the bench presses.  At first, I just couldn't even clean the weight (more brain fatigue than strength, I think), and then couldn't keep it going rep after rep. I think the benches broke down into sub-sets of 4-6-6-6-2.  Not fun.

Back to the box jumps and wall-balls.  These were getting REALLY old by this point, and my ability to keep up with the oxygen debt was GONE.  Before each, I had to take a minute or two just to move from kneeling to standing without having *too* many spots in front of my eyes. 

And that brings us back to the 95# bar and cleans.  I'm not sure...I think I sat there trying to gear myself up for that final set at least 3-4 minutes.  After that, the set was broken up into 3s and 4s. No idea what the pattern was, just that I hit 24 fair and square, and threw in a push-press for good measure.

This killed me. Didn't know they had interwebz access in the afterlife, did you?

Total time: 42 minutes
Round 1 = 16 minutes
Round 2 = 26 minutes (kind of a fall-off there, no?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment