Thursday, August 26, 2010

10-08-26: Jumps, squats, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups

CrossFit WoD for August 24, 2010

Tie a five-pound plate to hang an honest 18" above your tiptoe reach and complete 5 4 rounds for time of:
  • 50 Jump and touch (basketball backboard...probably not a clean 18", but I'm ok with that)
  • 40 Squats
  • 30 Sit-ups
  • 20-Push-ups
  • 10 Pull-ups
Kristan Clever 24:13 (14" jump), Lucas Zepeda 24:34, Jesse Bazarnick 26:25, Pat Barber 28:56, Rebecca Voigt 32:53 (14" jump), Laurie Galassi 35:47.

WOD Demo at CrossFit Santa Cruz - video [wmv] [mov]

Scaling: Well, after feeling like death at the end of the 3rd round, I dug deep and pulled one last round out.  Opted NOT to kill myself trying for a 5th round.  Going in, I wasn't sure how I was going to do with that many jumps, both in terms of cardio fitness and possible knee pain.  Not knowing how many rounds I was shooting for also made it impossible to plan out something like a descending rep count for each round, or other ways to scale the total amount of work.  So, I just shot for the moon, full reps each round.

The jumps were definitely hard.  Even managing to string the landing of one jump into the prep for the next, I was only able to make about 3-4 consecutive touches without either reseting or going off to suck wind.  So, the jump and touches were definitely the most miserable part of this.  The squats were hard, especially after banging on the legs with the jumping, but there was a slower, "grindy-er" element to the squats, so I could just crank them out on my own pace.  The sit-ups very quickly went from easy to agony, and the pull-ups started off hard (have I mentioned that I was still sore from Monday's burpees going into this? It's Thursday, for Pete's sake!) and stayed about even throughout.  Same with the pull-ups.

My time was definitely impacted by my taking nearly 3 minutes to decide whether or not to go for a 4th round.  Given how dead set I seemed, I'm actually a little surprised that I went for it.  Part of it was definitely having J right behind me, but a round AHEAD.  Bad enough to have him breathing down my neck, even worse to get lapped, or even take a DNF (Did Not Finish) in the middle of a round.  Did I finish the full five rounds?  Nope, but given how sore and shot I felt, I'm actually very ok with that.  Chances are I should have scaled it back even more, but I'm pretty happy with this outcome.  Now let's hope I never need to do this one again!

Total Time: 43:30
Splits(7:30; 9:45; 13:00, 2:45 soul-searching; 17:30)

CrossFit Worldwide Handstands II
















No comments:

Post a Comment