Friday, July 29, 2011

11-07-27: Barbell and dumbbell complexes

Elm City Crossfit WoD for July 27th, 2011
WoD: 4 Rounds for Time: Barbell Complex
  • 1 Power Clean
  • 5 Jerk @ 80% (95# for entire complex)
  • 7 Front Squats
Sellout: 4 x 10 Dumbbell Complex
  • Stiff-Legged Deadlift
  • Curl
  • Push Press
  • 45 seconds rest between rounds

Though I've been struggling with my olympic lifts a bit lately, I felt pretty good about this workout. If nothing else, I only had to power clean the weight 4 times (provided I didn't dump the bar in the middle of the complex, requiring it to be re-cleaned to the shoulders), so it wouldn't be the limiting factor in any case. Managed the first two rounds unbroken, then had to rest a bit before the third and fourth, respectively. Still, final time was 4:22, which, while not smoking fast by any measure, was a LOT better than I was expecting. I definitely didn't feel the need to suck as much wind between rounds, or dump the bar in the middle, meaning I was doing more work faster...always a good thing!

Oddly, the dumbbell complex was almost harder.  I don't know if my hands were just sore from the barbell, or if the grips on the dumbbell are especially rough, but they were killing my hands. And they were only 20# each! While 45 seconds seemed like forever between the 1st and 2nd rounds, it quickly collapsed into barely enough to catch my breath before stepping up to the weights again. Happily, I wasn't the only one feeling this way, as other people started getting harassed for taking longer than 45 seconds between rounds. In their defense, it actually becomes VERY difficult to quickly run the mental math for when 45 seconds will be over in a fatigued state. Thinking back, that sounds ridiculous, but I've been there often enough to know that when you're fatigued, figuring out adding :45 to x:38 is damn near impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment