Saturday, August 13, 2011

11-08-12: Hang Power Snatches, Hang Power Cleans and Front Squats

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Friday, August 12th, 2011
Spencer Hendel demonstrates the dynamism involved in the Olympic lifts. Given his wide grip, this is obviously a snatch of some kind, though whether he's planning on diving under the bar in a "regular" snatch (ie, a full "squat snatch", although adding in "squat" ought to be redundant), or catching it in a standing position (the "power snatch" variant) is unclear. Either way, a whole lot of energy needs to be imparted on the bar to lift a heavy weight overhead. Notice that he's pulled up and jumped so hard that, even with about 185# on the bar, Spencer's feet have come off the floor. (crossfit.com)
Hang Power Clean. Again, notice the feet leaving the floor with the amount of force generated. Nicole Carroll is something of a bad-ass. (crossfit.com)
I keep using this image for a reason. I think I'm the person on the left, with not-great arm position that leads to repeatedly failing out as I get tired. Be the person on the left, with upper-arms fully parallel to the floor, where the bar can't even begin to start rolling down... yeah, be that person. So much better. (crossfit.com)


WOD: 20 minutes of the following:
  • Odd Minutes:
    • 1 Hang Power Snatch 155# 115#
    • 2 Overhead Squats (Sub two more Hang Power Snatches if OHS form sucks)
  • Even Minutes:
    • 2 Hang Power Clean
    • 4 Front Squats
When we started this workout, there was actually a different time-scheme. Instead of being a 2-minute back and forth, there was a three minute schedule. Hang power snatches the first minute, hang power cleans and front squats the second, and REST the third. Apparently, we looked far to bright-eyed and bushy tailed going into the rest minute, so we quickly had that taken away from us. Seriously.

Given my (still) awful overhead squat form (tight calves, crappy shoulder mobility), I opted for the substitution of doing two more hang power snatches. It seemed like a good idea... once I got tired (about 4 rounds in), I was exceedingly happy to have made the swap. What sucks when I'm in fine form would certainly fall apart when I got tired. Trust me.

The whole way through, I had just ONE thought: bang through all the reps as fast as possible, to have as MUCH time to rest before the next set. I think I was fairly successful, in that even towards the end of the 20 minutes, I was still walking away from my bar to reset while most everyone was still finishing up their last minute or two.

As far as front squat form, I went back on forth on successfully maintaining a proper grip. My very first set was a total failure, with me nearly dumping the bar and resulting in me having to do what amounted to an out-of-position good morning as the bar started rolling down my arms. No good. That was the worst nearly-dump of the day, and most of the issues weren't nearly as bad. I am definitely still struggling to find the sweet spot where my hands aren't guaranteed to slip... or where they're guaranteed to stay. Someday. Some. Day.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment