Wednesday, August 17, 2011

11-08-17: Walking Lunges, Farmer Carries, and Tire Flips

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Wednesday August 17th, 2011
Walking lunges. I thought these would be the worst and I was RIGHT! Shorter strides hurt the knees, and you need to do more. Longer strides are easier on the knees, you get to do less, but they are also a bit harder. No way to win this one. (crossfit.com)
Farmer's carry. Note the pain face. It is accurate. We did kettlebells or dumbbells, with are markedly easier than barbells. And with far lighter weights. (crossfit.com)
Tire flips! This is how I felt on the lighter tires. However, I was unable to even budge the biggest tire, so at least there's room to grow! (crossfit.com)

WoD: 2 Rounds-Rest as needed between each
  • 200m Walking Lunge
  • 200m Kettlebell Farmer's Walk 55#
  • Tire Flips 7, 5, 3 (<- refers to increasingly heavy tires, and the number of flips required)
Walking lunges were everything I feared. Just awful. The burning in the quads, the burning in the glutes, the ever-tightening hip-flexors. Just brutal. This was the slowest part of both rounds, and the slowest to recover from, obviously.

The farmers walk (done with 55# kettlebells) was kind of hard, but more just for grip and shoulder issues. Had to rest once on the first round and twice on the second go-round, but overall not too shabby.

Tire flips. Finally. The 2 lightest tires were almost painfully easy, the heavier tire was sort of tough, but easy enough for the three reps called for. For the second round, I tried the heaviest tire. I barely got the edge off the ground, but I think my form was all wrong. While I was able to easily deadlift the lighter tires, I think the heaviest one requires more of a horizontal start, judging by the pictures I found online. I'll have to play with that a bit, and do some more research.  Still, awesome to cross something else off the list! 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete