Tuesday, August 30, 2011

11-08-30: Nicole

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Tuesday, August 30th, 2011
Pull-ups. (crossfit.com)
When this guy tells you to run, you'd best get running. (elmcitycrossfit.com)


Benchmark WoD: "Nicole" - 20min AMRAP
  • 400m Run
  • Max Rep Pull-ups
Score is # of pull-up successfully completed
NOTE: Protect your hands: if you rip your WOD is terminated!

A pretty simple WoD... each round, you run a 400m (2x around the ECC parking lot), then do as many pull-ups as you can in a single set. If your hands come off the bar, or you're stuck resting at the bottom of the band, your round is done, and you're back on the run.

I felt pretty good on the runs, all 6 of them, though good is relative. I didn't feel like I was going to die, which for me is a great improvement. See my most recent post for reasons why I still think running sucks. Or at least, I still suck at it.

Pull-ups were even worse, but these have always been an issue for me. Part of it is being a big dude, but considering Coach Joe worked out with us today, and he's easily got a dozen pounds on me (pure muscle, mind you), AND he knocked out almost my entire total of pull-ups in his FIRST round, clearly the "big dude" hypothesis of sucking at pull-ups is out the window. Man, was THAT ever a convoluted sentence. Sorry. It's just a matter of working more on the pulling movements. Everyone manages to focus on pushing movements when they work out on their own (see my many years of weight lifting (on and off) doing ALL pressing movements.)


Total pull-ups: 47

No comments:

Post a Comment