Tuesday, August 23, 2011

11-08-23: Running, Rowing and Kettlebell swings

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011
Kristan Clever and Annie Thorisdottir in the 2010 CrossFit Games. (Crossfit.com)
Because pictures of kids doing CrossFit are just awesome. (crossfit.com)
One-arm kettlebell swings, as demonstrated by Jeff Martone (crossfit.com)
Tell me again what your excuse is? I think this guy might want to have a word with you about your "excuses." (crossfit.com)




Warm-up (for the next two weeks):
  • SMR (Self-Myofacial Release (Foam Rolling)):
    • Gastroc/Soleus (Calves and surrounding areas)
    • ITB/Quad (quads and surrounding areas)
    • Thorasic/Lats (back)
  • Active Stretching:
    • Leg Swings
    • Scorpion
  • Balance and Stability:
    • Lateral Step-up 2 Balance w/ Press and Hold
  • SAQ Drill:
    • Ladder: in-in-out-out (forward and side)
WOD: 20 min Cap: No Clock-Just Get Rounds
  • 150m Row or 200m Run
  • 5ea arm KBS 55/70
NOTE: Self-regulated rest intervals

I was pretty happy with this workout. My wrists and forearms were *still* tender from last Wednesday's farmer's carries, but due to the kettlebell motion being generated completely from the hips, I really don't think this did too much more damage to whatever's sore/impinged/healing/etc. I ran the first 6 rounds, knowing that's way more a weakness than rowing, but by the end of the 7th round, my lungs were finally on fire enough for me to be happy to see one of the rowers unoccupied after finishing up the that round's kettlebell swings. I ended up rowing the 8th and 9th rounds, running the tenth, and was 2/3s of the way through another row when the 20 minutes was up.

I really tried to minimize rest time, extracting as much "rest" as I could from the transition to and from the kettlebell, especially while chalking up. I just wanted to avoid standing over the kettlebell, willing myself to pick it up, which I think I was very successful at. I also wanted to avoid walking during any of the runs. The only "cheap" rest I got was on one of the rounds where I rowed, where I got to wait for 5-10 seconds while someone got themselves off the rower. Ah, sweet blissful oxygen.


Total rounds: 10 plus a little rowing

No comments:

Post a Comment