Tuesday, March 1, 2011

11-03-01: Ring work, tabata rowing, push-ups and squats

CrossFit GardenCity WoD for February 24, 2011
Warmup: 
3 sets of 10 Overhead Squats, 2 minutes of DU practice
Skill:
Ring work - ring dips, pull-ups, etc.
Conditioning:
  • Tabata Row
  • Rest 1 min
  • Tabata Pushup
  • Rest 1 min
  • Tabata Squat


Overhead squats. Those will wake up your shoulders in the morning.
Double-unders. Note the higher than normal jump and the invisible rope. Tell-tale signs. (CrossFit Jax)
Ring dips. Full depth ring dips. Man these suck. (CrossFit Rockwall)
Hey, that's Chuck Liddell and John Hackleman! Even the Iceman appears to suffer on the rower! (CrossFit Rockford)
Tabata push-ups. I really REALLY hate them. (CrossFit Works)
Air squats. At last, something I'm good at! (CrossFit Santa Cruz)


I love and hate the overhead squat/double under warm-up. If only it weren't so damn effective. The even further upshot was that I was finally linking a crap-ton of double-unders together. It was freaking awesome. Following an exciting warm-up (never thought I'd type that), I focused on some ring work. Plenty of dips, knee lifts, L-sits, pull-up progressions, and toes-to-bar, which were freaking HARD hanging from rings!

After recovering for a bit, I cranked up the tabata mix (20 seconds of metal, 10 seconds of calm), and prepped for some bad-assed interval training. The row was more or less uneventful, though I was really hoping the 7th round was the last, so the 8th was just awful when the metal kicked back in.

Tabata push-ups are my kryptonite. I had a fairly successful first round, but I tapped out pretty quickly after that. I wish the floor in the gym was a bit cleaner, because I ended up face down on it repeatedly in the last 3-4 rounds. However, tabata squats, while not being a favorite, are certainly one of the things I'm better at.

Rounds12345678Totals
Rowing60 calories60
Push-Ups12855544245
Air Squats1413121313121314104

No comments:

Post a Comment