Wednesday, March 30, 2011

11-03-30: Deadlifts and Burpees

CrossFit Garden City WoD for March 23, 2011
Warmup:
Dynamic Stretches
Strength:
Deadlift
In 15 minutes build up to a heavy single
Loss of back position is considered a failed rep
Conditioning:
For 20 minutes on the minute complete:
If you miss completing the reps in any given minute, take the next minute off and then continue.

Deadlifts. Good enough for Franco Columbu, good enough for you and me. 'Nuff said.
Burpees. Self-contained hell on earth. (CrossFit Endurance)


After a good thorough warm-up (trying to shake out some soreness from yesterday), I jumped straight into setting a new 1 rep max on deadlifts. I knew I had lifted 285#, but I think that was for multiple reps. So, the goal was to blow 285# out of the water. By the time 15 minutes was up, I had made it up to 335#. A 50# PR. Not too shabby!  I didn't even hit a fail point, so its possible I might have gone up even more, but probably not a whole lot more.  We'll find out next time!

The 20 minute MetCon managed to catch up with me nearly instantly.  60% of 335# came out to about 200#, so that was the deadlift weight. The deadlifts were never a problem, but boy those burpees definitely caught up with me. After the 4th round, I was completely unprepared for the fifth minute, so I started to go every second minute. Not my finest hour, but it allowed me to try not to grey out between rounds. After the sixth or seventh round, I wasn't even done with those 9 reps before the next minute was starting anyway, necessitating the extra minute rest anyways. Either way, at the end of 20 minutes, I had completed 12 or 13 rounds. With a pencil (loaned to a fellow CrossFitter and instantly lost...), I could have tracked those rounds. As it was, good enough for me.

Big kudos to Amon Amarth for getting me through the last few minutes of the metcon with this little gem:
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns

No comments:

Post a Comment