Tuesday, September 6, 2011

11-09-02: Overhead squats

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Friday, September 2, 2011
The overhead squat. This is pretty much the make-or-break squat movement. Ability here will translate directly into snatch performance (in all of its variations), and problems here will manifest themselves clearly, as well. (crossfit.com)
Power snatch . While this move doesn't require the deep squat of a regular snatch, there should be at least some leg bend to cushion and control the catch. There should be a fairly smooth transition from power to regular (aka 'squat snatch,' for people who don't realize that's redundant) snatches, with the ability to catch the bar at any given height. (crossfitfortmyers.com)


Strength: 3 x 8
  • Overhead Squat @ 75%
WoD: 4min AMRAP
  • 5 Power Snatch
  • 2 Overhead squats
Still struggling with my manky wrist/forearm issues, this workout was a miserable chore. Worked with 65#, but even that was killing my right forearm, in terms of muscle tightness and resulting wrist pains. Total suckage. I ended up also struggling with my knees tracking in as I reached the bottom of the squat, but I honestly think I was just so distracted by my arm that I just couldn't give the rest of my body the attention it needs in what is still an advanced movement for me.

The WoD was ok, if only because there were just fewer overhead squats to worry about. The power snatches were easy enough at that weight, so they weren't much of an issue. 

Total rounds: 5-6? (I forget, will check my book)

No comments:

Post a Comment