Friday, April 6, 2012

12-03-23: CrossFit Open 12.5

CrossFit Games Open WoD 12.5

Annie Sakamoto shows perfect thruster form. Deep into the squat at the bottom, bar supported by the shoulders, NOT the arms, into full extension, having used the power generated by opening the hips, knees, and ankles to drive the bar overhead. (CrossFit)

No doubt about whether or not this one's a legit chest to bar pull-up.  I actually only just noticed that it's a c2b chin-up, the version I attempted. Sweet! (Diablo CrossFit)
AMRAP 7 minutes:
  • 3 thrusters
  • 3 Chest-to-Bar Pullups
  • 6 thrusters
  • 6 Chest-to-Bar Pullups
  • 9 thrusters
  • continue pattern for as long as possible 
The final workout of the CrossFit Open, and it’s a variation on Fran. How could it not be? It *is* the prototypical CrossFit workout: Looks easy on the whiteboard, and will mess you up but good! The clincher? The pull-ups had to be chest-to-bar. You might ask me, “Dustin, do you even HAVE chest-to-bar pull-ups?” I would answer you “No, I do not.” My assumption, going into this, was that my score would be three reps. Three thrusters, then spending the rest of the time struggling to get even a single c2b pull-up. Turns out I surprised even me!

After confidently banging out three thrusters, I approached the bar. Fortunately, we could use whatever grip we wanted: overhand (pull-up), underhand (chin-up), or mixed grip. While I definitely do not have a c2b, pull-up grip, it turns out I can manage the occasional c2b with the chin-up grip. It requires a bit of kipping… which I’m also not too good at, but hey, having to kip 2 or 3 times in a single rep is a good thing, right? (No, its not, actually…)

So, I ended up being pretty surprised having to address the bar for the round of 6s. 6 thrusters later, it was time again to face the pull-up bar. Several multi-kipped, single-rep pull-ups later, with plenty of missed reps, I was even more surprised to find myself facing 9 more thrusters. At this point, my only goal was to keep the thrusters unbroken, since they were the only thing I could do well. 9 reps later, I achieved that goal, which was pretty cool. Time once more for pull-ups. I managed a single rep… but then spent the final minute of the WoD struggling to make any more reps. However, that one would be my last.

Round369Total
Thrusters36918
C2B Pull-ups36110
Total28

No comments:

Post a Comment